Monday, October 5, 2009

Hi, I’m Cory and I’m a PC.

At least I have been all my life. Lately that has not been so much a decision but the only option that was financially viable. Allow me to explain.

Last Christmas my wife and I decided we needed a computer at home. I had been doing most of my prep work at school and she felt a little isolated with no email and/or Facebook. So we started looking at various options.

I have become interested in producing videos recently after watching both Brittown and Choppertown and speaking with Kyle Randall who produces and host Wilderness Journal for PBS. Side note: Kyle has an amazing life story; if you ever get the opportunity to hear him speak take it!

I asked Kyle what program they use to produce the Wilderness Journal. I also asked James Ford who teaches a multimedia class through CCRESA and runs a video production business called Great Lakes Digital Video what program he suggested. Both told me they use Final Cut Pro from Apple. I really wanted to be able to produce quality video dealing with traditional hot rods and kustoms that was suitable for use in schools or with kids of any age but that still appealed to adults.

Combine that desire with the, literally, days I spent removing an LOP infection from my parents computer after my little brother downloaded Windows Live Messenger and you can understand why I really wanted a MAC. The one thing holding my wife and I back was the price. I could not rationalize spending almost twice as much on a Mac so, dude, we bought a Dell.

The computer required a bunch of software updates when we connected it to the internet as well as activating the McAfee security suite. It came with a cool Bluetooth mouse and keyboard that worked great, except for the right arrow key which would sometimes not work or stick on causing you to scroll through all the dropdown menus at warp speed. Also, occasionally you would have to resynchronize the mouse and the keyboard. One time the mouse and the keyboard stop working so I had to run the store and pickup a cheap USB mouse to get the system working.

Then my wife got tired of the right arrow button sticking so she called Dell tech support in India. The guy she spoke with had no idea what to do and was apparently just using a flow chart that he really could not understand. By the time he was done “helping” the mouse was not working and the little Bluetooth light on the keyboard had turned purple. After I went to the store and bought a new keyboard I was able to find out that particular problem was known as The Purple Light of Death and seems to mean the end of the line for the keyboard.

We spent almost a grand on a nice Studio Dell and I still had to go out and spend $35.00 on a mouse and a keyboard. Add that to the massive amount of extra stuff slowing down any new Dell and the constant threat of a nasty virus and it is easy to see why I am questioning the schools’ choice of staying all PC.

I did some searching and found that Mac is at roughly 10% of the market share and it is growing. Our students are bound to come across an Apple at some point, whether it is a job or college. Should we start to buy a few Macs when we replace some of the old PCs? Does your school have any Apples? If we did invest in Macs could we save money with fewer tech employees? What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. I am a Mac, and you are a PC. My school is a PC; however, since the early 80's when our school was Apple, I have used Apples in my publications class. When the school switched to PC, I stayed with Apple. Since the school never purchased any of the Apples that I used, I knew they wouldn't start purchasing any then either. Fortunately, I have a class that needs to break even or be in the black each year. I have been able to do that. Each year the "pot" grew a little bigger, and I also had a sizable donation. Finally, in 2002, I was able to purchase 10 emacs and 1 imac. A couple of years later, I did at 2 more emacs. Since then, we have been in financial hard times; as a result, I have nothing new. I do have 12 emacs now that I have been using since then to produce our yearbook. I wouldn't change my old emacs for all of the new PCs in the world! They have been almost troublefree. I have had a couple of minor problems that even I could take care of. Sometimes I was on the phone with Apple for a long time, but together we got the job done! I always tell my students that I love Macs because any "idiot" can use one! They give me a funny look when I say that. I add that I can make that comment because I can use one. Some of them have seen me flounder when I have been forced to use a PC at school! Macs are worth the money. The ease and convenience of a Mac is amazing. I just wish I had some money so that I could update what I use. Apple is so innovative! Both of my daughters also use Macs in their homes. I do tell people that I am bi-computer because I can use both formats. Actually, I think all students should be exposed to both formats because when they get out into the "real" world, they will be versatile. It is just one more of those marketable skills that they will have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking that all of this "sitting at the computer in my office while my husband and son watch a great baseball game in the living room" stuff is for the birds. Believe me, the next big purchase at this house will be a laptop. I have been tiddling around with the idea for awhile but I feel like as soon as I make a decision (mac or PC), something new will abound and I will regret the decision. What to do? I know that, like your situation, I wold really like a mac mostly because their cool and I love my Ipod. But I know that my school uses PC's and there is no change in the near future as far as that goes. I am excited to see what types of responses you get.....maybe they will help both of us come to some sort of conclusion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and....any connection to the purple light of death and the red ring of fire because I have a pretty disappointed X-Box lover over here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too bad! I hear the Xbox has something like a 60% fail rate! Is it a coincidence that XBox is from Microsoft? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our district has been in the process of replacing all computers over the past year and we went with Macs (we had PC's before)! Initially, myself and several others were worried we would take a while to become accustomed to the new Macs, but after having this MacBook for almost a year and I look back on the transition, I would say it has definitely been a smooth one and I'm so glad to have this Mac as both my personal and school computer! I also think Grand Ledge did a great job of providing us with lots of training on Macs, and the students were also able to help out when I needed tips here and there back when we first got them, last November.

    I also have dabbled a little in video-making. It is a fairly recent hobby, but it is something I really enjoy doing and hope to do more of as I have the opportunity. I find that The iMovie program that came with my MacBook is sufficient for my needs. Have you been able to use any video making software on your Dell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have updated our computers at the school during the summer, a much needed improvement. The changes that we saw were really amazing. The students, just like us, lose patience when the internet is so slow much of the reserved computer lab time is used up. They aren't all able to work at home since some students do not have access to computers with internet service. Our school district moves in waves to update technology- the elementary one year, then a year later the middle school, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the Macs can actually read PC Word documents. Our school is PC, but my room is a Mac (I teach publications and we always go into the black with our yearbook sales so I saved for years and now have 12 student e-Macs), and I don't have any trouble getting things from the office. You can get almost everything from the Internet; however, I will admit that once in a great while certain sites don't seem to like Safari. I also use FireFox as a browser. Has anyone tried Bing? If you get the chance, go to an Apple store and play! I still like to do that even though I have a Mac. Apple keeps coming up with new ideas that keep me coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cory: I've your blogs are awesome! Can I use that phrase, or is it out of style? I can't keep up with these kids. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your blogs. They are very creative. Also, I have tried the DW40 on my whiteboard at the middle school. You are a genius! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cory,
    I finally just got around to reading this blog. I am a P-Ma-C. Our school district is PC and up until a couple of years ago I have always....well since 1993 been a PC. I went to Aquinas and got a degree in computer science (PC networking, Java, C++, and Visual Basic programming)I have always been interested in video editing. I video tape all of the varsity football games and produce a highlight DVD for the kids. Well your talk with Kyle is right. Final Cut Pro from Apple is state of the art for video. I student taught in a school that was Mac (Laingsburg) and started using FCP then. I wanted to get a Mac the next time I purchased a computer but along with the increased cost there was the question of what to do with all of this legacy Windows software. I had literally thousands of dollars tied up in video editing, web design, Photoshop,Indesign, audio editing....etc so what to do?
    The answer came a few years ago when Apple moved from Motorola to Intel for their CPUs. Then it was a simple matter of buying a Mac and running the XP in some sort of dual boot scenario.
    That is what I do now. I have a very fast G5 Mac running dual monitors. I run VMWare which creates a virtual XP box that runs concurrent with my Mac environment so that on my left monitor I have a Mac and on the right monitor I have a PC. I can exchange files etc. between them as if they were on the same network. It is pretty slick!
    bf

    btw I have shared the whiteboard tip with teachers here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love my PC. I used Mac in college because I was interested in graphic design and I just didn't get use to it. When the school purchased all new computers for my room they uninstalled Windows Vista and installed XP. Windows Vista is an embarrassment and I have not met anyone who thinks it is better than XP. Windows 7 is set to release in the next few weeks so hopefully Microsoft can give us something close to the reliability and stability that Mac has done for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian,
    I have some experience with Windows 7 (beta tester) and I can assure you that you will be pleased with this latest iteration.......very Mac-like :-)
    bf

    ReplyDelete